The top 10 states in the U.S. with the most significant growth in sports betting this year are:
1. New Jersey: New Jersey has been at the forefront of sports betting growth since it legalized it in 2018. It has consistently topped the charts in terms of betting handle and revenue.
2. Nevada: As the long-standing capital of sports betting in the U.S., Nevada continues to see substantial growth in the industry, particularly in areas like Las Vegas.
3. Pennsylvania: With its large population and multiple sports betting operators, Pennsylvania has experienced rapid growth in sports betting since its legalization in 2018.
4. Illinois: Illinois saw a significant surge in sports betting after it launched its online platforms in June 2020. It has quickly become one of the leading states in terms of betting volume.
5. Colorado: Colorado legalized sports betting in May 2020, and since then, it has witnessed remarkable growth, partly due to its online market accessibility.
6. Iowa: Iowa legalized sports betting in August 2019 and quickly embraced the industry, experiencing substantial growth in the number of sportsbooks and handle.
7. Indiana: Indiana legalized sports betting in September 2019 and has since become one of the top states in terms of betting volumes due to its favorable regulations and proximity to major sports markets.
8. Michigan: Michigan legalized sports betting in late 2019, and after launching online platforms in January 2021, it experienced rapid growth and became one of the biggest markets in the country.
9. Tennessee: Tennessee launched mobile sports betting in November 2020, becoming the first state to have an online-only market. It has seen rapid growth since its inception.
10. Virginia: Virginia legalized sports betting in January 2021, and despite its relatively recent entry into the industry, it has quickly gained traction and witnessed significant growth.